Maximizing your Employee Benefits Program during a Pandemic
Updated: Nov 24, 2020
COVID-19 has changed the face of business in Nova Scotia, Canada and around the world. Business owners have been forced to be more nimble and flexible than ever before, and unfortunately, some have had to make difficult decisions about the services they provide or the people they employ.
Over the past several months, we’ve been helping clients make the most of their employee benefits programs during these uncertain times. We’re happy to help ease some of the burden for business owners in our community—they’re being pulled in a million different directions, now more than ever.
As we brace ourselves for the second wave in Nova Scotia, I thought it might be helpful to share some of the lessons we’ve learned so far:
1. Always speak with your benefits advisor and an HR or Employment Lawyer before making any layoff, or employee related decisions.
2. Understand your options for premium payment deferral.
3. Understand the details around Temporary Layoff with Disability coverage versus Temporary Layoff without Disability coverage.
4. Promote your Employee & Family Assistance program to all eligible employees. Remind them about the mental health support that could be particularly beneficial during troubling times.
5. Promote Virtual Health Care to your employees or explore adding it to your plan.
6. Consider plan design changes to control costs.
We understand the strain you may be feeling and we’re here to help. If you’re an Executive Director or business owner in need of finding better, more efficient ways to support your employees during the second wave of this pandemic, please don’t hesitate to contact us or book a meeting directly in our calendar.
In the meantime, check out our list of provincial and federal resources for businesses. I hope it points you in the direction of some helpful information.
Until next time, stay safe everyone!
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purposes only. Please speak to a licensed insurance and/or group benefits professional to discuss your options.